Monday, December 22, 2008

Religion

As most of you know, as well as my trip to do good in India, I also follow an Indian religion. I was raised this way. The religion is Gaudia Vaisnavism... I usually just say Hindu, but that is WAY too broad of a term. The main teaching is Bhakti Yoga... the yoga of devotion. The ideal is to love God. Fully and without restraint- with the whole heart, soul - the way a crush takes over your every thought, that is how I am striving to feel about the divine. Every rule and regulation is to make us less attached to the material and turn our thoughts and feelings towards something higher and less temporary. We worship the divine couple: Radha and Krishna. The female and male aspect of God.
A big part of our worship is the singing of hymns using, as many scriptures including the bible recomends, drums and cymbles. Many of the songs are in Bengali or sanskrit, which I don't speak (sanskrit isn't a spoken language anymore) much of, but there are available translations.
The main scriptures are The Bhagavad Gita, and Srimad Chaitanya Charitamrita. But there are thousands of books.
Very Very short overview.

No comments:

Post a Comment